Sunday, February 1, 2009

First Blog!

Wow! This is exciting. I mean, I highly doubt you personally are ecstatic, but I sure am. So I never really read anyone’s blogs; including my mother and sister’s. [Sorry, I love you both!] I just don’t usually care to read people’s opinions on life, movies, religion, politics, etc. But today I read the blog of someone I went to high school with…. on Kabbalah. Yeah. As I reluctantly read on I saw words like “karma”, “dharma”, and “reincarnation”, I read on. Hm. Those aren’t words you often hear associated with Jewish teachings, specifically those of Kabbalah. With a clear confusion of her beliefs and understanding, I began to feel a tug to respond to the post I had read. Here are my thoughts on the issue:

I urge each of you to quickly open up Microsoft Word and type any sentence with the word “Kabbalah” in it. Let me guess, Kabbalah comes up with a red squiggly line under it. Go ahead and right click it. Hm… “Kabila”? “Cabbala”? So what I hear Microsoft Word shouting to me is, Kabbalah is an unknown word in the English language. Unrecognizable. I feel as though Kabbalah has just been made famous by the rich and famous (Ex: Guy Richie, Madonna, Lindsey Lohan.)

Well let us take this a step further. Let’s continue this experiment by typing in “Christianity” or even “Buddhism” in a sentence. No red squiggly line? Shocking! Go ahead and Google Kabbalah.

“Kabbalah teaches that God is neither matter nor spirit. Rather God is the creator of both. This question, "what is the nature of God?", prompted Kabbalists to envision two aspects of God, (a) God himself, who in the end is unknowable, and (b) the revealed aspect of God that created the universe, preserves the universe, and interacts with mankind.” (Wikipedia: Kabbalah).


So when the Bible refers to the ‘Trinity’, the “Father, Son, and Holy Ghost”, ‘Ghost’ being the Holy SPIRIT…it was a joke? Because what I hear good ‘ol Kabbalah teaching is that God is NOT a spirit. And what do they mean by God is “unknowable”? I know my God. My God is one of love and compassion. The One that longs for a personal relationship with me. Not a god that is “unknowable”.

I just wanted to write a little on this subject and shed a little light on it. It deeply saddens me when I see people so lost in the views of the world. When people are so caught up in “what goes around, comes around” & “I do what I want”. Yeah, we’ve all said those quotes once or twice. However, the direct meaning of them could not be farther from the path of righteousness. We should wish the best for others, no matter the wrongs they’ve done us. And the theory that “you do what you want”, well, let’s instead do the things that God has for us. The amazing road ahead- that He has planned for us. The road that is far greater than any we could map out for ourselves.

“You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.” (John 8:32)


Y:Ellen

2 comments:

  1. This is so well written and well stated. I am blown away. Great insights. You're good at expressing yourself and I believe this blog is going to have an impact on everyone who reads it. Keep writing. I am proud of you... and who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. check out this post about the new New Age bible that includes blank pages for those who buy it because they can just be god for themselves: http://tonyctoday.blogspot.com/2009/02/bridge-over-troubled-water-simon-and.html

    ReplyDelete